The Adena Mound in Chillicothe, Ohio-Destroyed

The Adena Mound in Chillicothe, Ohio-Destroyed

The Adena mound, so named by Governor Worthington, and 
owned by his estate until a few years ago, was thoroughly exam- 
ined by the Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society 
under the direction of its curator during the summer of 1901. 
The mound is located on miles from the northwestern part of 
the city of Chillicothe, in the valley of the Scioto River. Stand- 
ing upon the summit of this mound one could see, looking di- 
rectly to the north, the noted Mound City so named by Squier 
and Davis, and examined by them in 1846; looking to the south 
the Chillicothe group of mounds could be seen, which were ex- 
amined by Fowke, Moorehead and others ; directly to the east 
could be seen the Scioto River, and to the west is the large hill 
upon which is located tlie mansion called Adena, which was the 
home of Governor Worthington. 

The destruction has begun of one of Ohio's largest Adena burial mounds.

Near the mound, and at the foot of this hill, is Lake Ellensmere, which played a very important part in the construction of this mound. In 1798, when Governor 
Worthington came to Ohio, he purchased the land upon which 
this mound was located, and it has since been owned by the heirs 
until a few years ago, when it was sold to Mr. Joseph Froehlich, 
consequently the mound had been preserved for more than 100 
years. In the course of time the present owner found that it 
was quite an expense to keep this mound in a good condition, 
and as it occupied a large tract of fine alluvial bottom land, which 
was valuable for agricultural purposes, he decided upon its com- 
plete removal. On the 21st of June a contract was entered into with 
Mr. Froehlich to remove this mound, the greater part of the soil 
of which it was composed to be placed in a cut made by the B. & 
O. Railroad, which is perhaps fifty yards away. The mound, at 
the time work began, was 26 feet high measuring from the south 
side, 26 feet 9 inches measuring from the north side, with a cir- 
cumference of 445 feet.


A total of 33 skeletons was removed from the mound, 21 occurring in the first period, or the original mound, and 12 in the second period.