Ft. Wayne's Historic Iroquois Fort Circa 800 A.D.

Ft. Wayne's Historic Iroquois Fort Circa 800 A.D.


Artist's depiction of Ft. Wayne's historic Iroquois fortification circa 800 A.D.

5 forts were constructed in Fort Wayne from 1715 to the abandonment of the last after the War of 1812. The oldest fort was constructed by the Iroquois around 800 A.D., but unlike its the later French, British and American fortifications this one can still be seen today.   

ALLEN COUNTY, INDIANA

The History of Allen County Indiana, 1880
“Prehistoric Remains” by R. S. Robertson:
     Northern Indiana has many proofs of the presence of this race recorded almost indelibly upon its soil, and they have left some of their monuments in Allen County, but not as many, nor so extensive, as ones found in Ohio or to the southern part of Indiana.

While some of them were pushing upward, and making great settlements along the tributaries of the Ohio, others had passed further up the Mississippi, discovered The great Lakes, and entered into quite extensive copper mining operations on the shores of Lake Superior. Colonies had occupied Michigan, and as far south in Indiana as the Kankakee, and it from them, we think, that Allen County received the marks of their occupation. All along the valley of Cedar Creek, in DeKalb County, their mounds and earthworks appear in considerable number, but decrease in number as we proceed southward onto Allen County, and we totally wanting in the southern portion of the county.

    Still further down the river, on the west side, opposite Antraps Mill, is a semi-circular fort with its ends on the riverbank.




A series of  horseshoe shaped forts extended from the St. Joseph River in Allen County, (north of Ft. Wayne) down the Maumee to Toldeo, Ohio. The width of each of the forts was 200 feet.  Another fort was also located just west of Allen County at the headwaters of the Eel River in Whitley County.


The linear walls of Fort Wayne's first fort  leads to the riverbank and are still distinguishable along with the exterior moat.  This embankment once held a wooden stockade.



The largest earthen wall of the Iroquois fort is on the end on the north side of the work.  The wall no longer encloses the two parallel walls that run to the river, because a part was destroyed from farming.



Directions to 222 burial mounds and earthworks in Indiana, Ohio West Virginia, Kentucky and Michigan can be found in the most comprehensive guide to the ancient world.