List, Maps and Locations of Indian Burial Mounds in Alabama

List of Indian Burial Mounds in Alabama

Baldwin County. 
Mound on Pordido Bay, near Josephine post-office, containing a large amount of pottery in fragments. Reported by Francis H. Parsons, of the U. S. Coast and Geodetic Survey. 
Shell heaps on the Mobile River at its mouth, especially on Simpson Island. Opened ; human remains, bone implements, and pottery ob tained. Described by A. S. Gaines and K. M. Cunningham, Sm. Rep., 1877, pp. 290,291. 

Shell banks on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay, 1 mile from Point Clear. Reported by C. Cadle, Sm. Rep., 1879, p. 442. Mound on the extremity of Bear Point Peninsula, in Perdido Bay, in which human bones and a number of earthern pots— some containing portions of skulls — were found. Examined and described by G. M. Sternberg, Proc. A. A. A. S., v. 24 (1875), pp. 287-290.
 Mounds and other works on the Tensaw River near where Battle River leaves it. Broken pottery found in one mound. Described and figured by A. Bigelow, Am. Jour. Sci. and Art, 2d ser., v. 15 (1853), pp. 186-192. 

Barbour County. Mounds near Eufaula. Noticed by J. M. MoElory, Sm. Rep., 1879, p. 444. Remains of an old Creek town, 3 miles northeast of Eufaula, on the St. Francis bend of the Chattahoochee River. Briefly described in Report.

Blount County. Cache of seventeen chipped implements, spear heads, etc., in a field near Blountsville. Reported by Frank Burns, Sm. Rep., 1882, p. 820. Burial cave, known as "Camp's Cave," 15 miles south of Blountsville. Skeletons, wooden trough, bark matting, copper articles, etc., have been found in it. Frank Burns, Sm. Rep., 188*, p. 826; also mentioned in Report.

Calhoun County. Large isolated mound about 3 miles southeast of Oxford on the Caver place, near Chocolocco Creek. Noticed by Elston Luttrell, Sm. Rep., 1882, p. 827. Also reported by J. P. Rogan. Cherokee County. Ancient parallel ditches at the falls of Little River, in the northeast corner of this County, near the De Kalb County line. Rock houses or caves in the vicinity. Pickett's Hist. Ala,, v. 1, pp. 175-176.

Chilton County. Mound at Varna, on the South and North Alabama Railroad, near the old Repito Gold mine, on sec. 16, T. 21 R. 16 E. Reported by Dr. E. A. Smith. Stone heaps in T. 23 N.,R. 14 E.,of Stephen's meridian, 3 £ miles north east of Jemison Station, South and North Alabama Railroad. Described by William Gesner, Sm. Rep., 1881, pp. 0I0, 017. Clark County. Burying ground and mound on the site of )h\ Fort Mauvila (the latter now obliterated), 4.| miles east of Gainestown on the bank of Alabama River, in Sec. 2, T. 5 N., R. 4 E. Brief notice in Report.

Clark County. Burying ground and mound on the site of ) Fort Mauvila (the latter now obliterated), 4.| miles east of Gainestown on the bauk of Alabama River, in Sec. 2, T. 5 N., R. 4 E. Brief notice in Report. Clay County. Stone mound in sec. 26, T. 19 S., R. 7 E. Briefly described by William Gesner, Sm. Rep., 1879, p. 382. Ancient mica quarry in sec. 26, T. 19 S., R. 7 E. Described briefly by William Gesner, Sm. Ron., 1879, p. 382. 

Dallas County. Ancient ditches at Cahawba. Incidental mention In Pickett's Hist. Ala., v. 1, p. 172. Elmore County. " Old Fort Jackson Works," mounds and house-sites, and remains of old French Fort Toulouse and United States Fort Jackson, near the junction of the Coosa and Tallapoosa Rivers. Partially explored by Dr. Palmer. Mentioned in Report. Mound at Wetumpka. Reported by James D. Middleton. Mounds and house remains on the west bank of the Coosa River,about a mile above where it is joined by the Tallapoosa. Mound on an island in Jackson Lake, 6 miles north of Montgomery. The " Parker mound" on the Coosa River, near its junction "with the Tallapoosa. Explored by Dr. E. Palmer.

Greene County. A group of mounds on the Black Warrior River near Knoxville, in the northeast corner of the county. Reported by E. A. Smith. Hale County. A group of flat-topped, square and conical mounds known as the "Prince mounds," about half a mile from Carthage, in the northwestern part of the county. Noticed iu rickett's Hist. Ala., vol. 1., p. 166; reported also by Middleton, Rogan, and Palmer. A mound 7 miles below Carthage. Reported by James D. Middleton. 

Jackson County. Mound on west bank of Tennessee River, 1 mile above Bridgeport. Three small mounds on west bank of Tennessee River, 3 miles below Bridgeport. Two mounds on west bank of Tennessee River just above Widow's Creek. Another on same side due east from Stevenson. Mound on east bank of Tennessee River, nearly opposite last, below the mouth of Morgan's Creek. Three small mounds on west bank of Tennessee River, at Sublette ferry, near Bellefonte.

Jefferson County, Group of mounds in T. 17 S., R. 1 W., about 4 miles north of Bir mingham and west of the South and North Alabama Railroad. Described by William Gesucr, Sm. Rep., 1881, p. 610. Large quadrangular mound a few miles from Elytou. Mentioned in Pickett's Hist. Ala., vol. 1., p. 178. Mounds and "furnaces" on Village Creek. General mention by C. McKinley. Small group of mounds near old Jonesborough, on sec. 8, T. 19 S., R. 4 W., of Huntsville meridian. Explored by James I). Middleton. Described and figured in Report

Lauderdale County. The "Douglass mounds" near lock No. 10 of the Mussel Shoals Canal, 12 miles east of Florence. Briefly described in Report. Hexagonal mound surrounded by a wall, on the bank of the Tennessee River near Florence. Figured and described in Anc. Mon., pp. 109, 110. Noticed in Pickett's Hist. Ala., vol. 1., p. 168. Brief description in Dr. Palmer's field notes for lrf8X "Stafford Mound" (or shell heap), a mile south of Florence, on the bank of the Tennessee River.
Lee County. Workshop, east of Youngsborough, ou the Western Railroad, at the foot of Storey's Mountain, T. 19 N., R. 27 E. Brief notice by William Gesner, Sm. Rep., 1879, p. 443.

 Lowndes County. Village site, or burial ground, in the northeastern corner of the county, on the south bank of the Alabama River, at the junction of Pentlala Creek with the river. Human bones, inclosed in double pots, and ashes have been found. Brief description, Palmer's Held notes, 188:!. Three groups of mounds in this county, as follows : One in the southern part of the county, on Mussel Creek, on land of Mr. Fisher Merritt, T. 12 N., R. 14 E. One ou Big Swamp Creek, in the center of the county, T. 14 ST., R. 14 E. One in the northern part, on the Alabama River, between Whitehall and Benton. Brief mention by W. M. Garrett, Sm. Rep., 1879, p. 443. " Workshops," near Mount Willing, one on Mr. Hartley's plantation, Sec. 36, T. 13 N., R. 13 E., and one on Mr. Lee's plantation, Sec. 32, T. 13 N., R. 14 E. Short notice by W. M. Garrett, Sm. Rep., 1879, p. 443. Macon (or Elmore) County. Group of three mounds, 10 miles below Little Tallassie, on the Ala bama River. Figure showing positions. Schoolcraft's Hist. Ind. Tribes, vol. 5 (1856), p. 282. 

Madison County. Mounds on Jones's plantation, near Newmarket.
Mounds at Hazel Green, on the old Jeffries place. Reported by Gilbert Thompson. - Shell heaps at Huntsville. Reported by Dr. E. Palmer. Long shell heap on the north bank of the Tennessee River, near Whitesburg. Described in Report. Marshall County. Burial cave, known as the " Hampton Cave," about 1 mile west of Guntersville. Partially explored. Described in Report

Mobile County. Large shell heap at the south end of the county on the north side of Bayou Coq d'Inde, near its mouth, a few miles from Bayou La Batre. Described by Ma.j. W. T. Walthall in Mobile Tribune, August 11, 1859. Reprinted in 16th Rep. Peab. Mus., pp. 186-189. Also reported by Chas. Mohr, Sm. Rep., 1881, p. 619.
Shell heaps along the coast, one of them at the mouth of Bayou Como. Description by Maj. W. T. Walthall in Mobile Tribune, August 11, 1859. Re printed in 16th Rep. Peab. Mus. , pp. 186-189. Also reported by Chas. Mohr, Sm. Rep., 1881, p. 618. An earth mound surrounded by a shell mound near Mobile. Mentioned by W. S. McNeil. A burial ground, near Mount Vernon Arsenal, about 30 miles from Mobile and 3 miles from the Alabama River. Reported by Charles Mohr, Sm. Rep., 1881, p. 619. Montgomery County. Group of five mounds, 9 miles southwest of Montgomery, on the bank of the Alabama River. Briefly described in Report.

 St. Clair County. Old Indian fortification on the SE. J Sec. 16, T. 17 S., R. 1 E., of the Huntsville meridian. Reported by Hiram Haines, Sm. Rep., 1879, p. 443.

 Shelby County. Stone heap, about 1 mile east of Siluria, on the South and North Alabama Railroad, T. 21 S., R. 3 W. William Gesner, Sm. Rep., 1881, p. 617. 

Sumter County. The "Cedar Hammock Group," situated on Sec. 5, T. 17 N., R. 1 E., of Stevens's meridian. Small mounds. Described by Dr. Edward Palmer in Report. 

Talladega County. Old Creek settlement on the bank of Talladega Creek, 4 miles southeast of Talladega, at Cragsdale. Bones, shell ornaments and pottery found. Short description in Report. Ancient mica quarry in Sec. 12, T. 20 S., R. 6 E. William Gesner, Sm. Rep., 1879, p. 382; also, p. 443. Workshops in T. 18 S., R. 7 E., on the headwaters of Talladega Creek, at the eastern end of Cedar Ridge. Mentioned by William Gesner, Sm. Rep., 1881, p. 617. A group of mounds " orderly arranged," 15 miles southwest of Ox ford, on south bank of Choccoloco Creek. Elston Luttrell, Sm. Rep., 1882, p. 827. Also reported by J. P. Rogan. Mounds and Indian cemetery in the vicinity of Talladega. Reported by John P. Rogan and Dr. Palmer. A shell bed at Fort William on the Coosa River, Sec. 6 or 7, T. 22 S., R. 2E. Mentioned by M. Tuomey, 2d Bienn. Rep. on the Geol. of Ala. (1858), p. 157, 

Tallapoosa County. Aboriginal soapstone quarry. Exact locality not given. Mentioned by Charles Mohr, Sm. Rep., 1881, pp. 617-616.



Indian mounds and earthwork map of Alabama 1
Indian mounds and earthwork map of Alabama 2