List and Archaeological Maps of the Burial Mounds in Indiana. Allen - Franklin

List and Archaeological Maps of the Burial Mounds and Earthworks in Indiana


Allen County. Group of four mounds, 10 miles north of Fort Wayne, near Stoner's Station on the Fort Wayne, Jackson and Saginaw Railroad. Explored; contained human bones. Stone ax and spearhead found in the vicin ity. Described by R. S. Robertson, Sm. Rep., 1874, p. 383. Three mounds on St. Joseph River near the mouth of Cedar Creek at Cedarville. Circular inclosure in a bend of St. Joseph River on the east bank below the preceding, on the farm of Peter Notestine. Explored and briefly described by R. S. Robertson, Sm. Rep., 1874, p. 383. Semicircular inclosure on St. Joseph River, below the preceding and opposite Antrup's mill. Mound on St. Joseph River at the mouth of Breckenridge Creek. R. S. Robertson, Sm. Rep., 1874, pp. 383,384.

Carroll County. Large mound 6 miles southeast of Monticello. Briefly described by W. H. Hamelle, Indianapolis News, July 24, 1885; also mentioned in the Montreal (Canada) Star. August 8, 1885; Boston (Massa chusetts) Record, August 3, 1885. Shown by Mr. Collett to be a natural elevation. W. H. Smith in Indianapolis News, July 29, 1885. Clark County. Circular inclosure on James D. Robinson's farm on second bottom of Fourteen Mile Creek, about 2 miles west of New Washington. Described and figured by E. T. Cox, Geol. Surv. Ind., 1874, pp. 30, 31, Fig. 5. Shell heap at Clarksville just below the falls of the Ohio River, and one at H. Beach & Co.'s cement mill. Opened; several stone imple ments found. Others in the county not definitely located. Mentioned, with brief notice of articles found, by E. T. Cox, Geol. Surv. Ind., 1873, pp. 124, 125. Stone fort on a hill on the Ohio River at the mouth of Fourteen Mile Creek and near Charlestown. Described and figured in Geol. Surv. Ind., 1873, pp. 125-127,184-186. Also noticed by F. W. Putnam in 8th Rep. Peab. Mus., p. 47, and Am. Nat., vol. 9, p. 410. Lengthy description by W. H. Smith in Indianapolis News, July 29, 1885, copied into the New Albany (Indiana) Ledger, August 3, 1885. Brief notice in Geol. Surv. Ind., 1878. p. 124. Mounds on Battle Creek, 3£ miles north of Utica. Mounds 11 miles north of Patterson's. Mounds on both banks of Fourteen Mile Creek about a mile from Stone Fort. All located on map of Clark County by Prof. E. T. Cox, 5th Ann. Rep. Geol. Surv. Ind., 1873. Curious stone mounds on a bluff above the Ohio River, on Sec. 32, T. 2, K. 10, about 1 mile below Dean's marble quarry. Described and figured by E. T. Cox, Geol. Surv. Ind., 1874, pp. 25-29.

Crawford County. Deposits, quarries, and other antiquities in Wyandotte Cave near the Ohio River. Many flint chips and arrowheads were found in the mouth of the cave; also a stone saucer containing a black substance. Described by H. C. Hovey, Proc. Am. Ass. Adv. Sci., vol. 29(1880), pp. 725-731. Rock house and implements near Mifflin. Notice by John Collett, Geol. Surv. Ind., 1878, p. 449. Dearborn County. Inclosure and mounds in Section 2, on the hill immediately north of Hardinsburgh and about 3 miles north of Lawrenceburgh. Described and figured by E. T. Cox, Geol. Surv. Ind., 1878, pp. 121-125. Mounds in the vicinity of Aurora, one of which stood within the city limits. Mentioned by E. T. Cox, Geol. Surv. Ind., 1878, p. 122.

Decatur County. Mounds occur in this county chiefly along Flat Rock and Clifty Creeks. The only definite localities noted are the Shellhorn estate at tbe junction of Big and Little Flat Rock Creeks and Uewpoint. Shells, beads, and pottery were found in these mounds. Geol. Surv. Ind., 1882, pp. 150,151. De Kalb County. Two mounds near Waterloo. Explored and briefly described. Skel etons found. Circular earthwork, 6 miles northwest of Waterloo. Brief descrip tion. Mound on the farm of Henry Gouzer in Fairfield Township in which a few bones were found. Mere mention. Group of mounds about 5 miles northeast of Waterloo. Short description. Two mounds on the farm of Mr. Taylor, half a mile from above. R. S. Robertson, Sm. Rep., 1874, pp. 381, 382. 

Fayette County. Single mounds on NE. i, Sec. 34, T. 13 N., R. 13 E , in NE. J, See. 33, T. 13 N., R. 13 E.; two in NE. J, Sec. 14, T. 13 N., R. 13 E. In one of the latter ornaments of copper were found. Workshop in SE. J, Sec. 36, T. 13 N., R. 13 E. Camping grounds and traces of old trails in Sees. 34 and 30, T. 13 N., R. 13 E. Mound in Sec. 24, T. 13 K, R. 13 E. Mentioned by Dr. George W. Homsher, Sm. Rep., 1882, pp. 737-749 

Fountain County. Mounds to the north of Attica. Brief mention in Foster's Preh. Rac., p. 143.
to be junction of Big and Little Flat Rock Creeks and Uewpoint. Shells, beads, and pottery were found in these mounds. Geol. Surv. Ind., 1882, pp. 150,151. 

De Kalb County. Two mounds near Waterloo. Explored and briefly described. Skeletons found. Circular earthwork, 6 miles northwest of Waterloo. Brief description. Mound on the farm of Henry Gouzer in Fairfield Township in which a few bones were found. Mere mention. Group of mounds about 5 miles northeast of Waterloo. Short de scription. Two mounds on the farm of Mr. Taylor, half a mile from above. R. S. Robertson, Sm. Rep., 1874, pp. 381, 382. 

Fayette County. Single mounds on NE. i, Sec. 34, T. 13 N., R. 13 E , in NE. J, See. 33, T. 13 N., R. 13 E.; two in NE. J, Sec. 14, T. 13 N., R. 13 E. In one of the latter ornaments of copper were found. Workshop in SE. J, Sec. 36, T. 13 N., R. 13 E. Camping grounds and traces of old trails in Sees. 34 and 30, T. 13 N., R. 13 E. Mound in Sec. 24, T. 13 K, R. 13 E. Mentioned by Dr. George W. Homsher, Sm. Rep., 1882, pp. 737-749 

Fountain County. Mounds to the north of Attica. Brief mention in Foster's Preh. Rac., p. 143.

Franklin County. A mound on N. part Sec. 31, T. 10 ]ST.,-R, 2 W. Mentioned by Dr. George W. Homsher, Sm. Rep., 1882, p. 733. Mounds have been noted at the following points in this county: On Sec. 5, T. 9 N., R. 1 W. On Sees. 1, 2, 4, 5, 0, and 9, T. 9 N., R. 2 W. On Sees. 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, 29, 31, 32, 33, and 35, T. 10 K, R. 2 W. On Sees. 4, 9, and 13, T. 12 N., R. 13 E. There is a small earthen circle on Sec. 25, T. 10 N., R. 2 W. A singular stone structure on Sec. 23, T. 10 N., R. 2 W. A cemetery on Sec. 4, T. 9 N., R. 2 W. Workshops have been discovered on Sees. 3 and 4, T. 9 N., R. 2 W.; Sec. 20, T. 10 N., R. 2 W.; Sec 10, T. 12 K, R. 13 E. Traces of camp sites and old trails are observable on Sec. 31, T. 10 N., R. 1 W.; Sec. 33, T. 10 K, R. 2 W.; Sec. 10, T. 12 N., R. 13 E. Dr. George W. Homsher, Sm. Rep. 1882, pp. 730-749. Mounds in the vicinity of Harrison on the Whitewater. Noticed ami a somewhat full mention of contents given in Brown's Western Gazetteer, pp. 56-58.