Henry County, Indiana was the Ancient Land of the Giants

Henry County, Indiana was the Ancient Land of the Giants



Burial mound at the henge complex north of New Castle, Indiana. The burial mound is surrounded by a deep ditch and outer earthen wall.  Most of this moun d has been destroyed by Ball State archaeolosts.






Phillipsburg Herald, Jan. 8 1903
DIGS UP BONES OF GIANTS
Indiana Farmer Finds Skeleton of Men Eight Feet Tall

La Grange, Ind. - A prehistoric graveyard has been unearthed on the farm of Solomon Hedrick in Henry County.  a large number of human skeletons have been found, and all are eight feet and more in height.  Hedrick bought the farm some years ago, and covering four acres was a mound thirty feet high, resembling a loaf of bread.  The mound was built of gravel and sand, although the surrounding land is low and shows no trace of either gravel or sand.  A roadway twenty feet in width led up to the top of the mound. When about twelve feet of the surface had been removed the skeletons were found. The bones are large in size and the teeth are highly polished asnd well-preserved. Trinkets, ivory beads, a shill made of bone, and other articles were found in the4 graves.  hedrick will dig up the entire field in hopes of finding valuable articles




Artisans and Artifacts of Vanished Races, Theophilus Dickerson, 1915PECULIAR GRAVEL MOUND IN HENRY COUNTY, INDIANAThis Isolated Monument of Nature at an Early Period Surrounded by Water-Two 
Roadways.
HUMAN SKELETON EIGHT FEET IN HEIGHT UNEARTHED TWELVE FEET BENEATH 
SURFACE-EIGHTY FOUR IVORY BEADS FOUND IN IVORY SAUCER ON THE BREAST 
OF GIANT.

A few miles north of Kennard, in Henry county, Indiana, is a remarkable mound that 
covers an area of five acres. Unlike other mounds found in Indiana and other states, it 
is composed primarily of sand and gravel and covered by a forest of native trees of a 
century’s growth. There is not another deposit of sand or gravel in six or eight miles. 
The surrounding country is plain.

This pile of sand and gravel, as stated in above, covers an area of five acres and is of 
cone shape. When first known by white men it had a well defined ditch around it, and 
two made roadways, wide enough for a wagon, one from the north and the other from 
the south.

Farmers and road builders that needed gravel and sand found these glacial screenings 
to come handy in the building of public highways and for a small price per cubic yard 
paid to the owner of land found it more convenient than going to Springport or Mount 
Summit, a distance of eight miles.

After opening this deposit to a depth of 12 feet from the top of mound they unearthed a 
human skeleton whose framework measured nearly eight feet in height. His skull would 
fit over the head of a large man; his jaws being massive and teeth in a perfect state of 
preservation.

On the breast of this big chief was a saucer-shaped vessel of ivory, about six inches in 
diameter, containing 84 ivory beads, that must have been made from the tusk of a 
mastodon.

We tried the persuasion of money on the old farmer in order to secure the ivory 
specimens, but he was invincible. We had no desire to become the possessor of 
human bones.


Biographical Memoirs of Henry County,  Indiana, 1902 

      He had taken much interest in the investigation of the noted mounds, one which he opened containing the skeleton of a giant human being. The lower jaw was large enough to fit over an ordinary man's head, while the other bones were proportionate in size. The skull was a half inch in thickness and under it were found twelve flint arrowheads. 



Indiana Geological Report, 1902
Henry County, Indiana
     About seven or eight miles west of New Castle, a number of Indian skeletons were disinterred in the constructing a turnpike, and about the same distance south of town some remarkable humans bones and skeletons of giant size were dug out, with other relics, during the making of the road