Butler County, Ohio List of Burial Mounds and Earthworks

Butler County, Ohio Indian Burial Mounds List 
Sadly, Butler County, Ohio preserves none of these ancient works. It was once one of the richest counties in Ohio for prehistoric remains. Several sites can still be seen in the county, for directions to them. Over 100 Burial Mound and Earthworks Sites in Ohio Here

Ancient earthworks six miles southeast from the town of Ham- 
ilton. Surveyed and described in 1842 by Jas. McBride, J. B. Mac- 
Lean in Sm. Rep., 1881, pp. 600, 603. Diagram on page 602. These 
works are located partly in Fairfield township. Sec. 15, 8, and 16, 
and partly in Union township. Sees. 8 and 14. 

Fortified Hill, on the west side of the Big Miami, three miles 
below Hamilton. Described and figured, Anc. Mon., pp. 16, 18, PI. 
vi. ; also by MacLean in Mound Builders, pp. 184-187, fig. 53, and 
brief notice and figure by same in Sm. Rep., 1883, p. 850. Explored, 
described, and figured by John P. Rogan, Thomas MS. 

The A. McCormick mound, Fairfield township, on farm of Mrs. 
A. McCormick. Described and figured by John P. Rogan, Thomas 
MS. 

The Wm. M. Cochran mound, one mile northeast of Bunker 
Hill, Reily township. Explored, described, and figured by John P. 
Rogan, Thomas MS. 

The John Hoffman group of mounds near the central portion of 
the county. Explored, described, and figured by John P. Rogan, 
Thomas MS. Probably the same one mentioned by John P. Mac- 
Lean, situated in St. Clair township. Mound Builders, p. 214. 

The George Warwick mound, two miles north of Hamilton, in 
St. Clair township. Explored, described, and figured by John P. 
Rogan, Thomas MS. Noticed by J. P. MacLean, Mound Builders, 
p. 216. 

Large circular enclosure on the west side of the Big Miami, 
about seven miles below Hamilton, Ross township. Described and 
figured, Anc. Mon. pp. 85, 86, PI. xxx, No. 2; also by MacLean, 
Mound Builders, pp. 190, 191, fig. 55. 

Group of six mounds in Ross township, mentioned and figured, 
Anc. Mon., p. 170, fig. 57, No. 1. More fully described and figured, 
MacLean, Mound Builders, pp. 194, 195, fig. 56. 

Mound on land of J. and G. Meescopf in the southern portion of 
the county ; one mile east of the R. Cooper mounds. Explored, de- 
scribed, and figured by John P. Rogan, Thomas MS. 

Mound on farm of Robert Cooper, Fairfield township. Ex- 
plored, described, and figured by John P. Rogan, Thomas MS. 
Noticed by J. P. MacLean, Mound Builders, p. 181. 



The Samuel Lamdon mound, Reily township. Explored, de- 
scribed, and figured by John P. Rogan, Thomas MS. Brief descrip- 
tion by John P. MacLean, Mound Builders, p. 202. 

The Henry Schwarm mound, a mile and a half northwest of 
the village of Reily. Explored, described, and figured by John P. 
Rogan, Thomas MS, Probably the one in Reily township, men- 
tioned by J. P. MacLean, Mound Builders, p. 202. 

Enclosure, ditch, and mound on Seven Mile creek, near Somer- 
ville, Milford township. Described and figured by MacLean, Mound 
Builders, pp. 207, 209, fig. 59, Brief notice and figure, Anc. Mon., 
p. 90, PI. xxxi. No. 2. 

Mound from which was taken a frog pipe and charred cloth. 
Reported by Thomas Dover. 

Mound one mile south of Post Town station and two miles north 
of Middletown in which were found rolls of cloth and other relics. 
Reported by John S. Earhart, O. T. Mason, Sm. Rep., 1880, pp. 
443, 444. 

Ancient work (enclosure) on Four Mile Creek, in Oxford town- 
ship. Described and figured, Anc. Mon. pp. 29, 31, PI. xi. No. 2 and 
also by MacLean Mound Builders, pp. 204, 205, fig. 58. 

Ancient work (enclosure) on the bank of Seven Mile creek in 
St. Clair township, about five miles north of Hamilton. Described 
and figured, Anc. Mon., p, 29, PI. xi. No. 1 ; also by MacLean in 
Mound Builders, pp. 212, 213, fig. 60. The mound explored by 
John P. Rogan, Thomas MS, 

Ancient fortification in Fairfield township. Described and fig- 
ured by MacLean, Mound Builders, pp. 177, 178, fig. 49. Brief de- 
scription and figure, Anc. Mon., p. 22. PI. viii, No. 2. 

Ancient inclosure near the preceding. Brief notice and fig- 
ure, MacLean, Mound Builders, p. 178, fig. 50. 

Enclosure with oblong mound inside on the bank of Nine Mile 
creek, in Wayne township. Described and figured by MacLean, 
Mound Builders, pp. 217-220, fig. 6L Briefly noticed and figured in 
Anc. Mon., p. 90, PI. xxxi, No, 3. 

Square enclosure and mounds on east side of the Big Miami, 
about four miles below Hamilton, in the southwest part of Fair- 
field township. Described and figured, Anc. Mon., p. 85, PI. xxx, 
No. 1. 

Circular earthwork on east side of the Big Miami, southwest 
corner Fairfield township. Described and figured by MacLean, 
Mound Builders, p. 178, fig. 50. Brief notice and figure in Anc. Mon., 
pp. 90, 91, PI. xxxi, No. 4. 

Enclosure with double walls ; mounds and ditch on the west 
bank of the Big Miami, four miles southwest of Hamilton, in Ross 
township. Described and figured Anc. Mon. pp. 30, 31, PI. xi, No, 3 ; 
also by MacLean, Mound Builders, pp. 188, 190, fig. 54. The mound 
explored, described at length and figured by J. P. MacLean, Sm. 
Rep., 1883, pp. 848, 849. 

Mounds in Liberty township (only ancient works in this town- 
ship) are mentioned by MacLean as follows: In Sec. 20, on the 
farm of S. Rose, one, and on the farm of D, B, Williamson, one; 



20 MEMOIRS OF THE MIAMI VALLEY 

in Sec. 26, on the farms of Stephen Clawson and C. Handle, three; 
one in Sec. 15 and another on Sec. 34 (Mound Builders, p. 176). 

Group of small works (square and oval enclosure and mound) 
in Union township. Described and figured in Anc. Mon., pp. 91, 
92, PI. xxxii. No. 1. More complete description by MacLean, Mound 
Builders, pp. 171, 172, fig. 46. 

On the adjoining section (8), same township, is a small circu- 
lar enclosure described and figured by MacLean, Mound Builders, 
pp. 172, 174, figs. 47, 48. 

Ancient Fortification on the east bank of the Big Miami about 
six miles above Hamilton, in northeast corner Fairfield township. 
Described and figured^ Anc. Mon., pp. 21, 22, PL viii. No. 1 ; also 
by MacLean, Mound Builders, po. 181, 183, fig. 52. 

Maps and diagrams of Butler county showing location of signal 
mounds with explanatory notes, J. P. MacLean, Sm. Rep., 1882, 
pp. 752, 758. A thorough description of the various ancient works 
of this county, a separate description being given of each work with 
fig. of most of them. J. P. MacLean, Mound Builders, pp. 153, 228, 
figs. 46, 64 and map of the county showing location of the several 
works. Those described by others are mentioned separately in this 
catalogue under "Butler County, Ohio." 

General description of the mounds of the county with special 
notices of the group on Sec. 21 in Ross township (same group fig- 
ured in Anc. Mon., p. 170), figured, one opened. Brief description 
of the group on the Miami described in Anc. Mon., p. 30, PI. xi, fig. 
3 ; one opened and figured. J. P. MacLean, Sm. Rep., 1883, pp. 844, 
851.